Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekend update

I have been too busy to start working on the bike. I'm getting scared that this will become a trend. My girlfriend's father said I could move the motorcycle to his downstairs garage/basement if I helped clean it out. This has turned into a bigger project than I originally anticipated. I would say that it's about halfway there. So in some ways I have made forward progress on the bike.

I am currently out of money for the project. The great thing about this project is that I have a lot to do without spending too much money. Once the bike is moved into the garage (hopefully by next weekend), I will rebuild the carbs and line the tank. I will also be ordering a battery in the next week or so. I am talking to Jorge (my girlfriend's dad) about batteries, I would like to get a small one that can be concealed on the bike. I am not sure what the system requirements for the electric start are, but I'm sure I will be able to figure all this out with a couple hours in the Internet. 

I have been looking at my favorite motorcycle blogs and custom builder's sites for inspiration. I have found a couple of pictures that are almost exactly what I envisioned for this bike.


This bike is from Classified Moto. Hard to tell from the picture, but it has dual sport tires. I have always liked the idea of this as I am likely to hit some dirt roads on this bike. I believe the tires fitted are Shinko 705s which are rated for 80% street and 20% light off-road. Perfect! 

 
Another picture of the same bike, but completed. I really like the "brat" style seats and I decided that was what's going on my bike since day one. It puts more focus on the motor and gives the bike a more aggressive forward stance. I would love to do a fork swap but from all the research I have done, it doesn't seem worth it. 

At this point, I am having to do a lot of non-mechanical work before I can get to the fun stuff. That's okay! I can't wait to get to the point where I am ditching these ridiculous stock bars and seat, cutting the frame, and fitting the new stainless exhaust. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment