Friday, September 27, 2013

Tank update

I worked on the tank some more today. I think I have the exterior right about where I want it. I have yet to treat the inside. I will most likely leave the liner for last.
 

I used paint stripper to get the decals off. After a couple coats of paint stripper, the paint and decals wiped off. I cleaned the rest of the tank up with the sand blaster. Then I sanded the tank using 180 grit paper on a soft block. This is what I came up with.


Looks much better than this...

 
You can also see that I de-tabbed the frame (removed side cover mounts).


The tank looks even better in person. I might go a bit higher with the sand paper maybe 400 then 600. I did however come up with a way to protect the raw metal. After reading tons of stuff online, I came across a product called "Gibbs Brand" lubricant. It is extremely popular with hot rodders and die hard mechanics. It goes on clear and protects the raw metal for up to four months at a time (according to a guy who has a whole car that is raw finished, protected with only Gibbs). You can paint over it at any time because it's isopropyl based and doesn't contaminate the metal. Isopropyl is a key ingredient in Rain-X so it's no surprise that it also makes water bead off like wax. I'm pretty happy with the finished product. I could have done clear coat for about $100, but why? It takes all of 5 minutes to wipe the tank down with Gibbs, and that also helps keep the bike clean. Clear coat seems to be very hit or miss as a permanent solution as well. Gibbs is said to work 100% of the time, as long as you aren't too lazy to re-apply every now and then. I'm the kind of guy that keeps 6 coats of wax on his car, a little gas tank is easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment